Libra: Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon: EVERY BUDDY!
Libra is a new series which will provide first impressions of games well before a review. As is the case with our formal reviews, these will generally be spoiler free, however some very minor spoilers could still lurk ahead.
Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon: EVERY BUDDY! – a remaster of Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo’s Dungeon for the Wii – released just about a week ago and I have been having lots of fun with it. If one thing is for sure, my adoration for the roguelike has only grown since I’ve started investing myself into them when I started reviewing for the site. So far, I have put about 15 hours into it and there are currently lots of positives, with only a couple negatives, worth mentioning.
Famed treasure hunter Cid and his sidekick, Chocobo, are drawn to explore a tower off the hunch that a component exists within that could power their airship. However, little do they know that this event would spiral out into a very peculiar situation indeed. Before they know it, the duo is mysteriously dumped into Lostime, a village which is constantly plagued by the tolling of a bell that, subsequently, robs the inhabitants of their memories. It is up to Cid and Chocobo to get to the bottom of the situation, not only for the townsfolk’s sake, but also so they can get back to their original objective.
- Lots of job and buddy loadout possibilities available to you.
- All traditional roguelike mechanics are present: random generation, traps, floor-based progression, and severe punishment for death.
- Heavy emphasis on progression through base levels, job levels, buddies, gearing, and crafting.
- Interesting story that does a decent enough job of fleshing out characters, should you take on their “memory dungeons”.
- Lots of eye and ear candy for fans of the franchise.
- Two available difficulties.
- Chocobo is freaking cute
- Many jobs / buddies seem sub-optimal in most situations, at least on normal difficulty.
- Fusing mechanic can be a bit clunky when dealing with equipped items.
- Not being able to change buddies in the same area as you change jobs is an odd decision.
Be on the lookout for my official Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon: EVERY BUDDY! review in the coming weeks!