Dead Mage AMA Transcript

Last night’s AMA with Dead Mage, developers of Children of Morta, was a great time! We appreciate everyone, especially the developers, for taking the time to make this AMA a success. In case you missed it, a transcript of the entire event can be found below. This information can also be found on our Discord.

Note: Users in red signify our staff, while users in blue indicate comments from Dead Mage devs:

TheNerdBasement at 9:27 AM
Thank you all for that are joining us today. We are all very happy to have Dead Mage Studios join us. We want everyone be to be able to ask a question. Please be respectful and allow them to answer questions.

ManRahaim at 9:52 AM
What time is the AMA expected to begin? Edit: I answered my own question. 9PM ET

TheNerdBasement at 12:12 PM
Lol

TheNerdBasement at 7:29 PM
90 minutes to go!!

Rich at 8:15 PM
45 Mins to go!!

Elias at 8:51 PM
-heavy breathing-

TheNerdBasement at 8:57 PM
You gonn be ok

Elias at 8:58 PM
Just excited!

TheNerdBasement at 8:59 PM
Hello all and welcome. We are very excited to have Dead Mage Studios. I know everyone has questions, but let’s start with them introducing themselves.

Amir at 9:01 PM
Hi everyone,
My name is Amir Fassihi and I am the Team Lead at Dead Mage.

Nariman at 9:01 PM
Hello all,
Im Nariman Ghasemi and Im Game Designer and Cinematic artist at Dead Mage

maxchickens at 9:02 PM
Hey. Thanks for doing an AMA!

Nariman at 9:02 PM
Hi Everyone,
This is Aryan Bina and i’m the lead designer of children of morta

Evan_Bee at 9:02 PM

Elias at 9:02 PM
Welcome, thanks for joining us!

Rich at 9:02 PM
thanks for joining us

TheNerdBasement at 9:03 PM
let the questions begin

Amir at 9:03 PM
Glad to be here.

TheNerdBasement at 9:04 PM
Is Breath of the Wild an RPG?

PokéPower at 9:04 PM
Hey, my question is kinda multi-faceted, but I’ll try to keep it brief. I think it’s based off bad info anyway.
Recently an outlet ran this story on Dead Mage, saying you guys were getting summoned to Iranian courts over Children of Morta?
Which makes no sense, because you guys are based in Texas IIRC.
Is there any truth to this?
TechRaptor
Iran-based Developer Summoned to Court Over Children of Morta
The team lead for the Iran-based indie studio Dead Mage announced today that his team was summoned to Iranian court over noncompliance of Islam within their game Children of Morta.

This comes after said Team Lead Amir Fassihi took to Twitter to make this announcement. A Rese…

Hamidreza at 9:05 PM
Hey All. Hamidreza Ansari here! and I did the game’s music and sfx. at Dead Mage

TheNerdBasement at 9:06 PM
@maxchickens Should and will be asked in every AMA

Elias at 9:06 PM
It’s a tradition.

TheNerdBasement at 9:06 PM
What are some of the rpgs that inspired you ?

RedGuardian at 9:06 PM
What Indie game visually is your favorite? I do have to give your game my top 5

Amir at 9:06 PM
PokéPowerToday at 5:34 AM
Which makes no sense, because you guys are based in Texas IIRC.
Is there any truth to this?
That has mostly been a misunderstanding. The local platform hayoola.com which was going to distribute the game in Iran was questioned since they need special licenses and permits to distribute the game there. Not a big issue at all. Yes, Dead Mage is a US based company.
TechRaptor
Iran-based Developer Summoned to Court Over Children of Morta

Nariman at 9:07 PM
Evan_Bee : Great to have you! I’ve absolutely adored Children of Morta and I’m excited to see what sort of content you have planned down the line.
Thanks, great to see you enjoy the game, 11 bit just published a roadmap for the project, we are planning on having a lot of free and some paid contents for the game in the coming months. I’m sure you can find the details on the steam page and our twitter account.

Elias at 9:07 PM
That clears up a lot!

PokéPower at 9:08 PM
@Amir Right, so it’s more like their ESRB/PEGI taking umbrige with them, not you guys or your families being accused with blaspheme or something.

Koder at 9:08 PM
Are you guys planning on expanding children of morta?
Btw, by far one of my favorite games I’ve reviewed last year.

PokéPower at 9:10 PM
Full disclaimer, I am a journo working for a news gaming website (which I won’t advertise unjustly).

Amir at 9:10 PM
PokéPowerToday at 5:38 AM
Yes exactly.
They have strict laws, kind of like China.

maxchickens at 9:10 PM
@Amir that’s good to hear and clears things up.

Amir at 9:10 PM
But all related to the product and censoring, not anything agains devs.

TheNerdBasement at 9:11 PM
@Hamidreza What are some of your musical inspirations?

Nariman at 9:11 PM
@Kodar Are you guys planning on expanding children of morta? Btw, by far one of my favorite games I’ve reviewed last year.
Glad to hear it, as i said above there is roadmap in our twitter page, our first content will be adding a new difficulty and a pack of new items to the game

Tuwile at 9:11 PM
I really enjoyed Children of Morta. I maxed all the rune & blacksmith upgrades and unlocked all the family traits. Looking forward to the updates and DLC planned. Hopefully we see new upgrades or the max cap level increased. I also really liked the art in the game.

Koder at 9:12 PM
Pc is currently dead and that’s where my copy is. Gotta get the switch version.

Amir at 9:12 PM
Here is more information about the future development roadmap:
News – All News

HedgeKnightMike at 9:12 PM

Evan_Bee at 9:13 PM

Nariman at 9:13 PM
What are some of the rpgs that inspired you ?
– First of all in Dead Mage we all are big fan of Diablo series so you can clearly see the diablo vibe in the game and mostly in combat. So thats our biggest inspiration there but are others like Titan Quest, Grim Dawn and lots of idie rpgs.

TimmyDale at 9:13 PM
Thanks for coming on and doing this, friends. I’m interested in knowing if you’re team may be in discussions to potentially have a physical release for Children of Morta?
Your*

Rich at 9:14 PM
Any plans to bring other games to Switch? How has switch sales been to other platforms?

Nariman at 9:15 PM
What Indie game visually is your favorite? I do have to give your game my top 5
– Glad to hear you love our visual style. They are a lot actually but I will name a few: Inside, Hyper Light Drifter, Owl Boy, Below, etc.

Hamidreza at 9:15 PM
@TheNerdBasement The most notable one was Diablo III, mainly for the whole audio concept of the game, Next I should add Witcher 3, which inspired me to create a – unique- medieval fantasy world. Also Hans Zimmer is one of the composers that I learned a lot from (via online resources) to bring story into more into consideration.

Amir at 9:16 PM
TimmyDaleToday at 5:43 AM
Your*

We already have released the physical version of Children of Morta, Merge Games is the distributor. We also have Signature Editions.

Nariman at 9:16 PM
@TheNerdBasement Is Breath of the Wild an RPG?
I think its a question that debated a lot here :), but yes i think it’s a RPG. we can discuss about it a lot more of course

Rich at 9:16 PM
Owlboy is amazing, def an under looked gem on switch

CakeEater at 9:16 PM
Thank you for creating such an awesome game! It’s definitely one of my top indie games!

TimmyDale at 9:17 PM
Wow. I had no idea. I’m gonna order this week!

TheNerdBasement at 9:17 PM
@Nariman NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TimmyDale at 9:17 PM

Nariman at 9:17 PM
– wow, you really love the game! glad to hear that <3. Yes we're gonna increase the cap level of workshop, characters and traits in New Game Plus mode which gonna add to the game soon through a free update. PokéPower at 9:18 PM
If you don’t mind me asking- why Iran? While China has strict censorship, is has a large gaming audience. You would not typically associate the middle-east as an area with a large number of gamers.

Amir at 9:18 PM
Rich at 5:44 AM

Yes for sure, so far Switch has performed better than PS4 and Xbox combined for us. We guessed that a game like Children of Morta might have more fans on Switch and we now know that as a fact :).

Nariman at 9:18 PM
@TheNerdBasement i suspected it

Elias at 9:19 PM
So glad to hear that the Switch version is performing so well! That’s spectacular!

TheNerdBasement at 9:19 PM
Its the best!

Tuwile at 9:19 PM
How did you handle the different play styles for each character? I found the range to be very powerful but when talking to another they preferred melee. Next time I replay this game I’m going to focus more on melee characters. Any hint on what the next character will be? Range/melee :slight_smile:

Rich at 9:19 PM
switch seems to be the best for most smaller / indie games

TheNerdBasement at 9:21 PM
@Hamidreza What instruments/programs did you use for Morta?

Amir at 9:21 PM
PokéPowerToday at 5:48 AM

@PokéPower that was not an economic decision, we just wanted to do this because many of our developers are Iranians. We felt it would be nice for the youngsters back home to play this game. Not many games are sold there officially. We have received many emails from the gamer community that were interested in playing a legit version of the game. They don’t have access to international markets.

Tuwile at 9:22 PM
Not sure if you can discuss this. How has the feedback been on how Children of Morta plays over xCloud? Very cool your game got added to xCloud.

PokéPower at 9:22 PM
@Amir Thank you.

Nariman at 9:23 PM
@HedgeKnightMike e Thanks for coming! Absolutely loving Children of Morta. The art style is amazing, I’d love to know what inspired the art direction. Side question as this is the first game by your studio I’ve played, what should I play next by Dead Mage?

– Tanx for the love. We tested very different art styles at the beginning of the game, but non of them was close to our heart and what we were trying to say in the game’s story. What was resonate with us was the western vibes and warm colors for feeling of the house to make it safe and full of love.
You can try Shadow Blade reload, our last game if you are in platforming games.

Amir at 9:23 PM
TuwileToday at 5:52 AM

@Tuwile we do not have much feedback at this point.

HedgeKnightMike at 9:24 PM
@Amir thanks! I’ll definitely try Shadow Blade out and of course whatever you bring over to Switch next.

TheNerdBasement at 9:25 PM
Will Tales of Ronin come to the Nintendo Switch?

Rich at 9:26 PM
what are you currently playing?

Nariman at 9:26 PM
@Evan_Bee Morta has an incredible visual style- were there limitations on how large or small the character models were? Where their any inspirations for your art style or did you want to do something unique for the title?

– Tanx, glad to hear you like the art. Actually yes, there were pixel count limitations for animation process. We couldn’t have characters with more that certain amount of pixels because it would make the animation process too much time consuming and wasn’t worth the costs.
We wanted to do smth unique but we got some inspiration from western art styles

Amir at 9:27 PM
TheNerdBasementToday at 5:55 AM
Will Tales of Ronin come to the Nintendo Switch?

@TheNerdBasement that is definitely in the plans, we already have a Switch build for our demo and making sure the controllers map well has been the priority from day one. We have some ideas for Switch only features but we’ll have to see how those pan out.
Since Tale of Ronin is a turn based game, we think that it fits the play anywhere idea very well.

Evan_Bee at 9:27 PM

Nariman at 9:29 PM
@Tuwile How did you handle the different play styles for each character? I found the range to be very powerful but when talking to another they preferred melee. Next time I replay this game I’m going to focus more on melee characters. Any hint on what the next character will be? Range/melee

We wanted to make the classes as different as we could based on the character personalities. so we started creating different abilities for the characters at start.
we know we wanted both melee and range from the start so we focus designing challenges around the similarities of these characters and thats being positioning and evading. we were also surprised ourselves how testers and players like different characters altogether and use different ones.
We tried to go a middle way for the next character. something like a short range character. hope you enjoy it.

Tuwile at 9:29 PM

Elias at 9:29 PM
I’m looking forward to this new character :slight_smile:

Amir at 9:30 PM
@Rich
what are you currently playing?

Outer Worlds. I love RPG games. Disco Elysium too.

Nariman at 9:31 PM
@Rich what are you currently playing?

– Right now Im playing Divinity : Original Sins 2 on Switch. Some Overwatch on the side and recently i finished Jedi Fallen Order which was a great game for a combat designer like me.

TheNerdBasement at 9:31 PM
Yes! Divinity love!!!

Rich at 9:31 PM
@Nariman Jedi Fallen order has been awesome so far, i need to keep going

TheNerdBasement at 9:32 PM
My friend calls it Star Wars Dark Souls

Hamidreza at 9:32 PM
TheNerdBasementToday at 5:51 AM
@Hamidreza What instruments/programs did you use for Morta?

@TheNerdBasement Every of the Bergsons family has their own unique instrument, Margaret is represented by Cello, An ethnic flute for John, female choir and child choir for Mary, Bass Trumpet for Ben, and soprano trumpet for Joey . Mark is represented by concert flute, Kevin is soprano recorder, Violin for Linda, Zither (and old medieval instrument) for Lucy. and Finally a dulcimer representing their bond and unity!
I’m a huge fan of combinig electronic/orchestral sounds, and I love using Omnisphere 2 to create that. My main DAW is Cubase and most of the game’s music is composed inside it.
And lastly we used FMOD sound engine to bring the audio to live.

Rich at 9:32 PM
@Amir i am looking forward to the switch port for Outer Worlds and would like to see Disco Elysium make its way to switch
@TheNerdBasement its more like star wars zelda x dark souls x metroid

PokéPower at 9:33 PM
What’s the one thing you wish you could change about the industry in a snap?

TheNerdBasement at 9:33 PM
@Hamidreza It all comes together quite beautifully

Nariman at 9:33 PM
@Tuwile This is more PC/PS4/Xbox side but when you do title updates are you going to add more achievements/trophies? I liked how some were tied to side missions that I would have missed.

Yes, for sure we’ll be adding new achievements/trophies for more major updates. glad you liked it and we’ll try to keep it like that for the future updates too

Rich at 9:35 PM

Nariman at 9:35 PM
@Rich what are you currently playing?

just finished Zelda link’s awakening. and started playing three houses

Rich at 9:36 PM
@Nariman just finished Ashen, now finishing up Ori & DQ XIS. Looking forward to Skellboy at the end of the month

Elias at 9:37 PM
What program was CoM developed in?
Unity, yes?

Amir at 9:38 PM
@PokéPower
What’s the one thing you wish you could change about the industry in a snap?

More support for the brave independent developers. The mainstream has its own mechanisms for making games and informing players about the game, indies however, usually have very niche audiences and they usually need a little boost for being seen and finding their audience.
It has always been like this in art history and some organizations have been key in making those creative people being seen, art galleries for example.
Today, Steam and Nintendo to some extent do support the creative indies and help them become visible but I think we need more institutions for supporting creativity and original work.
I see many incredible talents in the game industry doing very interesting work but it is not easy for indie teams to survive and many of them will be forced to change their industry, with grief.

Nariman at 9:38 PM
@Rich great games, every time i see the trailer for the new Ori I’m just amazed by it, need to start the first one again and this time finish it

PokéPower at 9:39 PM
Thank you.

Rich at 9:40 PM
@Nariman its one of the best vania’s this generation

TheNerdBasement at 9:40 PM
Tales of Ronin seems like a very different design than Children of Morta? Why the change?

Nariman at 9:41 PM
@Evan_Bee When developing an action RPG, what were some development hurdles, or different approaches, you needed to consider in comparison with a platformer? Were there any mechanics and ideas that you simply couldn’t implement into the game due to the task of developing a title of this scope?

– In comparison with a platformer we needed to think about all of the games aspects from new perspective actually, so the experience of developing of a rpg game was fresh for us.
Yes, actually there were a lot of mechanics and systems which we tried in development of the game which wasn’t in the final release. The most important was the Cooking System, the one that Mary, the mother, cook a meal for the whole family with the ingredients that players gather in dungeons to boost all of the characters and their stats.

Nariman at 9:41 PM
@Rich will all the updates in the road map be making its way to the switch version? i am curious about the co-op update, will you be able to play the entire game in online co-op?

Yes all of the contents will come to all platforms. other than the starting tutorial all of the content should be playable in online co-op too.

Amir at 9:41 PM
@Elias
What program was CoM developed in?
Unity, yes?

Yes the game engine is Unity. We have used various other tools on the side. @Nariman can name some of the artistic tools we used. @Hamidreza can name the tools we used for sound effects and music.

TheNerdBasement at 9:42 PM
@Hamidreza Are you working on Tales of Ronin?

Elias at 9:42 PM
@Amir I am astounded by that. You guys have made such a polished product and have so many complex systems in place. You’ve really pushed Unity to the edge :heart: good work.

TheNerdBasement at 9:42 PM
They really did

Amir at 9:43 PM
@TheNerdBasement

It started as a small experimental project when one of our developers who had left us returned to the team. Everyone was already working on Children of Morta and I had to come up with a new small project for him to be busy :).
The idea was to try something we have not tried before. It just formed organically. It is still considered an experimental project for us, although the scope today is larger than what we had planned for, this happens to all our projects.

TheNerdBasement at 9:45 PM
@Amir I cant wait to see more. When can we expect that?

HedgeKnightMike at 9:45 PM
@Nariman thank you for answering my question earlier btw just on mobile and everything scrolled fast did not mean to tag the wrong team member but thanks to the whole staff.

Amir at 9:46 PM
@Elias Unity is really a good tool and it is getting better and better with every update. Their team has been very supportive also. In case you guys wanted to know more about our technical challenges, Reza, our lead programmer has a good article here:
Unity Technologies Blog
Children of Morta: Bringing order to the chaos of procedural gener…
When Dead Mage created Children of Morta, a narrative-driven 2D dungeon crawler, they ran into some challenges balancing the roguelike elements with the st…

Nariman at 9:46 PM
@Elias What program was CoM developed in?
Unity, yes?

– We also used Cinema Director tool plus lots of in-house tools for cutscenes and gameplay animations. Also FMOD to implement sounds and music.

Butter at 9:46 PM
I am enjoying CoM and telling it to my peers. Q: Is there a reasonable way to use “old” character annimations for charged heavy primary attacks and the crafting spell cooking menue for future updates? Or was the decision to have to keep those out of the game (for good, anyway understandable reasons).

Amir at 9:46 PM
@TheNerdBasement
@Amir I cant wait to see more. When can we expect that?

Very soon I hope :). No fixed dates yet.

TheNerdBasement at 9:48 PM
How many staff members are in Dead Mage?

Amir at 9:49 PM
@Butter can you elaborate your question a bit please.

TheNerdBasement at 9:50 PM

Amir at 9:50 PM
@TheNerdBasement
How many staff members are in Dead Mage?

15 working on Children of Morta
7 working on Tale of Ronin

and 3 non developers. Makes us 25.

TheNerdBasement at 9:51 PM
Wow! A lot bigger than I thought

Hamidreza at 9:51 PM
@Elias What program was CoM developed in?
Unity, yes?

– Mostly FMOD and sound libraries we purchased from an online reseller https://www.asoundeffect.com/
– Not to forget my own voice! the laughing Goblin in the game uses my voice!
A Sound Effect
Asbjoern Andersen
A Sound Effect – The Place For Independent Sound Effects
Unique sound effect libraries from the world’s best sound designers – preview, browse and get the sound effects you need.

TheNerdBasement at 9:52 PM
lol. Awsome

Butter at 9:53 PM
years ago, there were some animation for stronger primary attacks, the characters can perform and the “cooking” menue, =more gameplay mechanics @Amir I wanted to asked if they might can be implemented in the game or if they can not. The game feels very smart balanced, now!

Amir at 9:54 PM
@TheNerdBasement

A software developer probably. I as on the academic track towards studying for my PhD and game dev was what pulled me out :slight_smile:

TheNerdBasement at 9:55 PM
What do you think is the most important part of making a good game?

PokéPower at 9:56 PM
The biggest push for attention seems to come from a game’s art-style. How do you find someone to partner up with if you lack the artistic or the programming skills needed?

Nariman at 9:56 PM
@TheNerdBasement

– Directing movies probably, what I was doing before start working in video games.

Hamidreza at 9:57 PM
TheNerdBasementToday at 6:12 AM
@Hamidreza Are you working on Tales of Ronin?

Yes, I’ve started my R&D on Japanese music and I have a lot of ideas for this game, Sure you’ll hear more from me as we go along.

Nariman at 9:57 PM
@TheNerdBasement If you did not work in the video game field, what kind of job do you think you’d be doing?

it’s hard to predict, but i think maybe would have stayed at university and do academic work

TheNerdBasement at 9:57 PM
@Nariman What genre of film do you prefer?

Amir at 9:58 PM
@TheNerdBasement
What do you think is the most important part of making a good game?

First, the team.
Second, the team.
Third, the team.
😉

Having good people on your team will eventually lead to a good game. By good people I mean responsible, self motivated, curios and passionate individuals. And what is needed between them is “Trust”.

TheNerdBasement at 9:59 PM
Youre only say that because theyre here

Amir at 9:59 PM
@PokéPower you mean those who might want to join our team?

Nariman at 10:01 PM
@TheNerdBasement What genre of film do you prefer?

– Personally Im big fan of unique documentaries, Also I love European cinema and Philosophical movies. Beside those sci-fi is the number one for me

Hamidreza at 10:01 PM
@TheNerdBasement

very hard to answer! But I think I would be a guitarist of a band! Rhythm or lead guitarist!

TheNerdBasement at 10:02 PM

Butter at 10:02 PM
The team is doing beautiful art by creating this game.

PokéPower at 10:02 PM
@Amir More like, how do you form an indie studio, or just find those who can do 3D graphics, sprites, programming etc. Do you rely purely on job applications, or do you seek them out in other ways?

Nariman at 10:04 PM
@Butter years ago, there were some animation for stronger primary attacks, the characters can perform and the “cooking” menue, more gameplay mechanics @Amir I wanted to asked if they might can be implemented in the game or if they can not. The game feels very smart balanced, now!

A lot has changed since the Kickstarter and we tried to improve every aspect of the game, so i don’t think anything like animations and old mechanics come back.
other than the endless mode being a new evolution of the arenas we talked back then.

ManRahaim at 10:04 PM

TheNerdBasement at 10:05 PM
5 MINUTE WARNING

Amir at 10:06 PM
@PokéPower More like, how do you form an indie studio, or just find those who can do 3D graphics, sprites, programming etc. Do you rely purely on job applications, or do you seek them out in other ways?

For starting an indie team, I think the most important thing is to find a few people that you can really trust on first. Trust that they will do their best to learn and grow and help the team. This could be you and one or two other people. At least one person can be responsible for design, for for code and one for art.
Once you have this core, you would need to decide on the game that you need to make and that come from the intersection of three circles.
1 – What you are passionate about.
2 – What your team can make very well.
3 – What can be successful in the market.

A lot of indie teams decide what project they want to make first, then start looking for the team, this usually does not work. It should be the other way around ,finding your core team first, seeing what their strength is, then selecting the project. This is how we led to the idea of Children of Morta.

Nariman at 10:07 PM
@ManRahaim I have a Children of Morta related question. First I want to say I picked it up on Nintendo Switch launch day and have been loving it! My question concerns accessing Journals in-game. I collect them but am unable to read them or access them through the menu in the Bergson home. I also noticed I will pick up lore items in dungeons but have no idea how to access info on these. Am I missing something?

– Glad to hear that. You can access the collectable documents like Lore notes and Journals in the Codex menu. The Journal tab is something that we will add in upcoming updates.

PokéPower at 10:08 PM
Thank you for your time @Amir and the rest of the team.

HedgeKnightMike at 10:09 PM
Dead Mage did a tremendous job with this, Children of Morta had a touching story, fun gameplay, and I’m really excited for Tales of Ronin on switch now. This was a great AMA

Counter at 10:09 PM
Aye, thank you for the time you spent here! I’m excited to try Tale of Ronin, it looks really good.

ManRahaim at 10:09 PM
@Nariman Thank you! I can rest easy now. Thought something was wrong with the Journal tab in my game. I am very impressed with the pixel art (beautiful!) and the fantastic variety in character mechanics. Keep up the great work.

TheNerdBasement at 10:10 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for joining us especially Dead Mage Studio for joining us today. They’ve created a beautiful game in children of Morta and I can’t wait to see what the future holds with this talented crew.

Nariman at 10:11 PM
Thank you all for the great questions and having us here, hope you enjoy what’s coming to the game and also tales of ronin

Nariman at 10:12 PM
It was great to be here and talk to all of you! Thank you for creating this opportunity for us to be more in touch with the community and be able to talk about how all this happened in Morta.

Hamidreza at 10:12 PM
Thanks for having me and the rest of the guys here, and I hope you liked the audio of Children of Morta, check my website to know more about the upcoming news https://Hamidrezaansari.com/
Hamidreza Ansari
Home page of Hamidreza Ansari, a composer artist from Tehran. Hamidreza Ansari

TheNerdBasement at 10:15 PM
dun
Now go buy there game if you haven’t already.
Children of Morta for Nintendo Switch – Nintendo Game Details